A Youth/Young person is someone between the age of 12-17 who are charged with an offence are governed under the Youth Criminal Justice Act (YCJA).
Parliament passed the YCJA (YCJA replaced Young Offenders Act) to address among other things, the overuse of courts and a jail for young persons.
Some of the rights under the YCJA given to young people are as follows:
1. A young person has the right to be accompanied by his or her parents or guardians when being questioned by the police, in addition to the right to a lawyer
2. Young persons have their parents notified when arrested, detained or required to appear in court as soon as possible.
3. A parent or guardian of a young person can put him or herself forward to the court as a “responsible person” during a young person’s bail hearing. Before a youth court decides to detain a young person in custody while waiting for trial, the court must determine whether there is a “responsible person” available to care for and supervise the young person instead of placing the young person in detention.
For more information Young people and the law visit Saggi Law Firm
Contact us now for a free consultation 647-983-6720.
Youth Criminal Justice Act
We will Defend Your Case. Checkout our other services:
- Law Firms Brampton
- Best Criminal Law Firms Brampton
- How Long Does It Take To Get A Bail Hearing
- Bail Bond Hearing Brampton
- Best Criminal Lawyers In Brampton
- Brampton Criminal Lawyers
- Best Brampton Criminal Lawyers
- Lawyers In Brampton
- Bail Hearing Brampton
- Bail Hearing Lawyer Brampton
- Bail Revocation Hearing Brampton
- Bail In Brampton Canada
- How Much Is Bail In Brampton Canada
- Bail Reduction Hearing Brampton